This is a great craft for children and adults alike.
- cookie cutter (you can also use jar lids or molds)
- twine or string (colored twine adds a nice touch)
- waxed paper
- 3/4 cup birdseed
- 1/4 cup water
- small envelope of Knox Gelatin
- Mix together the gelatin with the water and simmer until gelatin is dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and let cool for a couple of minutes.
- Stir in the birdseed. If there is liquid in the bottom of the pan add a little more birdseed until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Place your cookie cutter on the waxed paper and fill the cookie cutter half full of the birdseed mixture.
- Cut the twine or string and knot the end based on how long you want to hang the feeder from the tree. Gently push the knot down into the birdseed mixture in the cookie cutter.
- Fill the cookie cutter the rest of the way with birdseed while covering the knotted end of your twine or string.
- Push the birdseed evenly into the cookie cutter and add more birdseed until full.
- Let this sit overnight to dry. Turn the cutter over every few hours to aid in the drying.
- When dry, remove the birdseed from the cookie cutter and hang on a tree outside.
- Based on the size of your cookie cutters, you may need more or less birdseed.
- If using small cookie cutters, a general mix of birdseed for small birds works best.
- This is a great idea for children’s parties.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!